Thursday, June 01, 2006

I'M SO HAPPY I COULD SHIT!!!

Things is lookin up!
Although the day started our pretty shitty it turned out to be quite good.

It started out with a four and a half hour out patient trip to the Alfred. Now the longest I’ve spent in the wheelchair so far had been about two and a half as my recovering pelvis starts complaining like stuttering faecal commentary man on a bad day. My back also begins to protest at the torment it’s being subjected to due to my trying to sit more on the unbroken side of my arse! It never felt that bad even on our longest rides when touring on the bikes. So four and a half hours is bloody torture!
I challenge anyone to sit on a chair for that long without a break.
Turns out whoever made the appointment didn’t book me into the clinic. I did voice my concern to the receptionist, but when I was finally seen there was only one person left in the waiting room.
I managed to read 1/3 of the book about the world’s fastest indian while waiting.
By the time I got back, my lunch ( of which only half was brought up from the kitchen, damn those monkeys! ) was stone cold.


The afternoon was filled with occupational therapy and physiotherapy, so more pain.


I’m actually transferring myself from bed to wheelchair using a gutter frame! Considering the physio was aiming to have me doing this on friday, I reckon I’m doohan ok.
It’s like a Zimmer frame with a half pipe for my right forearm which I use for support.
This another first for me as it means I can stop pretending to be a motor being removed from a car every time I want to get in or out of the wheelchair. Normally it took two nurses and a hoist resembling an engine crane to carry out this procedure.

Being able to this also means I can get onto a special chair used for showering and lightening your load. So no more of getting on that damn trolley to get cleaned up!

So…….tonight I had my first crap just like normal people do. Woo Hooo!!!!
So I guess I’ll have to stop using the line “You think you’re so good ’cause you can crap on the toilet!” now.


More and more normal every day.

You’ve seen some pictures of me, so today I’ll be starting a series of my deceased touring partner.
She served me well in the 30,000kms I’ve ridden it.
From trips around Tassie, to the snowy mountains in NSW, to a taste of the outback in Broken Hill, to the nation’s capital and all around Victoria………. not to mention the countless other day trips with mates and on my lonesome.
She wasn’t the fastest glamour in the pack and was often the oldest ride on our outings, but none the less always got me to my destination and back, including two bitumen surfing incidents. There was that one time in Tassie when what looked like the original battery ceased to be one and turned into a useless lump of lead, plastic and acid. But a couple of push starts and we were on our way to the nearest battery shop.
It also served as a gauge for deducting if a member of the opposite gender was fair game or not. If the member of the fairer sex was older than the bike ( built in 1985 ), she was thumbs up. ;)

It was a great little bike and will be sorely missed.




This is about where my right leg was......... between this and the semitrailer.

Comments:
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?