Saturday, July 15, 2006

OBJECTIONABLE UNDERTAKERS AND THE QUIET PELVIC MUSINGS OF MUSICIANS

'

"You should be looking at going home in about four weeks or so."


Said the cute physio when I got the clearance to fully weight bear on my legs and therefore start walking.


"I hope you're not still here when I finish up in early august."


Said the ward doctor today.


I forget if I've mentioned it or not, but I've developed some new body noises since my skeletal rearrangement.
Among these is quite a click emenating from my right hip joint. Well actually it's more like a deafening crack clearly heard by people within a ten to fifteen feet radius.
Now at first I thought it was some sort of gas or fluid in the joint.
Then I thought that maybe it was something to do with my pelvis healing a little bit off or something.
It also feels a little like the joint gets stuck and then suddenly releases, which is quite painful.
As my movement and loading increased with the walking exercises so did the soreness of that particular hip joint.
I also found that I couldn't stand as much weight through the right leg either.
Naturally I assumed that this was due to much more extensive damage caused to the right leg than than the left.

Today the physio had me lying down with my feet pulled up towards my bum so that my knees were bent at 90 degrees.
From there I would lower / swing my right knee out to the right.
This action after a few reps caused the hip to what I would describe as partially dislocate and get stuck.
So I pulled my knee up towards my chest and cracked it back into place.
I continued the exercise and it happened again.
The third time I called the physio over and put her left hand on my hip joint and her right on my knee.
I asked her to push my knee up to my chest and sure enough "crack!!"
After quickly taking her hands off and stepping back, she grimaced and did a sort of squirm or convulsion like you do when see someone break their leg in slow motion on television.
She'd finally realised how bad this was and spoke to the doctor.

That evening I was carted off to radiology by my least favourite orderly,
This guy has as much personality as an extremely conservative, frigid and anally retentive Englishman with the social skills of a parsnip.
He whinges and whines like a bitch at every opportunity and I am sometimes tempted to slap him and tell him to just top himself and be done with it.
Then, at least we'd be spared the continual negativity and 'woe is me' complaints.
I mean really, compared to the people on my ward and the brain injury ward next door, what has he got to complain about?
I asked if they ( the orderlies ) were busy today and I didn't get one word in after that.
Found out from one of the nurses that previously he used to be an undertaker.
I guess he's used to bodies that don't talk back.

Anyway, I had a squiz at the x-ray of my pelvis and even with my lack of medical training I could see that the fracture hadn't united.
It reminded me very much of the collarbone incident and we all know how that turned out.
So I am presuming that the 4 weeks is not going to be 4 weeks after all, but I guess I won't know until the surgeons have a look and make a decision.
And that reminds me, why didn't they pick this up at my review?


On a different note, I met an older musician at hydro therapy today.
He's a jazz pianist with a bit of a love for classical as well, currently suffering from a condition which means he can't play anymore.
Turns out he had a friend who was framed for murder in New York.
After some looking into the matter he found out that the murder was carried out by two policemen.
They in turn found out about his investigation and essentially threatened him, unless he moved out of the country, with joining his friend or the murder victim.
As his wife and her family were from Echuca they moved to Melbourne some years ago and have been living here ever since.
Funny the people you meet in here.
I'm hoping to get a copy of a cd he put out last year which was a collection of recordings throughout his career.


.

Comments:
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?