Sunday, July 23, 2006

YOU'RE NICKED MATE!!!!

'

One of the most boring weekends I've had for a while.
Apart from a couple of visitors, all I've done is lie in my bed trying to rest my rather irritating knee.

Actually, I lie.

I just remembered a little incident on Saturday morning, but for this I must go back to a previous operation.
After this previous operation I was not given the little morphine pump like I was expecting.
Instead I had pills and injections to try and take the pain away.
They work of course, but the nurses would only give me limited doses even though I was still in pain and refused to give me anymore.
Soooooo, in order to avoid the same situation this time around, I managed to stash away a pill for this rainy day.
When you receive DD's ( dangerous drugs like morphine / opiates ) there are two nurses who check your UR number ( like a hospital serial number ) and date of birth and then watch you take the pill.
After 'taking' the pill and waiting for the nurses to leave, I spat the little blighter out and like a little red squirrel in the autumn making sure it's not sighted, stashed it away.

Back to Friday night.
There I was happily thinking that I'll be able to get some sleep that night.
When the right time came, I reached into the place where I'd previously secreted the little pill and retrieved it.
As I was putting it in my mouth, I dropped it.
Try as I might I couldn't find it and therefore was back to square one with the pain situation.
I had a pretty crappy sleep as I expected.
The next morning I was half out of bed and one of the nurses turned up.


"What's that?"
"Is that (da da da duhm! )...................an Endone?"


As she was standing behind me, those words sent panic through me.
Ohhhhhhhh shit!!!!!!!
I turned around slowly.
There she stood with the little brown and white pill between her thumb and index finger, holding it up like the irrefutable evidence of my failed drug taking that it was.
The little panicky voice in my head kept repeating the word busted over and over.
She'd found what I was trying to the night before.
I was planning to have a look in the daylight and completely forgotten about it during the course of the night, and she'd beaten me to it.
This is a pretty serious thing and there were all sots of incident reports filled out.
The team leader came to see me for some sort of explanation.


"Are you selling drugs Chris?"


The little voice in my head was having a giggle fit at this point.
Anyway, after explaining how this pill found its way into my bed and not my stomach and the reasons for it, it all blew over.

We'll see what the next week brings in regards to physio, now that my knee should be back to a reasonably normal condition.

.

Comments:
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?