Thursday, October 19, 2006

THE TRIVIALITY OF IT ALL.............

I think my head is going to explode.

There's so much stuff to do when you are suddenly and without warning transformed into a statistic.

At this point I would like to mention that my best mate was killed 9 tears ago, in a very similar collision to mine.
Indeed it was with a truck, the difference being I came out of it in one piece and he in three.
Ever since then I've heard him whispering in my head "Just coz it happened to me, doesn't mean it'll happen to you."
I kept this little mantra with me at all times and every time I had a close call ( which wasn't that often really ) from which I successfully got out relatively unscathed, it just strengthened the power of that affirmation.
It became so strong that I didn't even consider that whilst "....it might not happen to me....", there was always the possibility of having an off, surviving, but with who knows what kind of trauma, brain injury, amputation, disability, etc.

And so the day came when I became a road trauma statistic.
I remember thinking a few things at the time.

1) " Oh feck! So this is what he must have felt just prior to unexpectedly departing this dimension and becoming a memory."

2) "Phew, got away without becoming a truck bonnet ornament."

3) "Oh, feck! The trailer!"

4) "Ok, so it didn't happen to me, but what about all this?" ( as I mentally diagnosed the various broken bits and pieces in my body, whilst doing my best impression of a speed hump ) "You didn't mention any of this!"


So now I have to deal with things one should never have to deal with normally.
Things like lawyer's letters asking for money so they can get medical records, filling out admission papers in order to confirm surgery appointments, hassling TAC for payments because some slacker doctor hasn't bothered to send them a medical certificate, twice, etc.


It helps to take my mind off these things with distractions like Quiz Night at the Comfy Chair for example, which is where my sister, Bec, and a couple of other blokes Grahame and John went last night.
We did alright, won a jug, and second place $20 drink card.
We had a moral victory though, as the team that beat us was twice our number.





.

Comments:
Comments:
Ah yes, the waiting for surgery.. I reckon accidents must be much worse than ordinary surgery. If you have a big operation on, say, your heart, then a whole lot of thought has gone into making it easy for you at the time and in recovery. Keyholes etc. But if you have been torn up by a truck, the injuries don't allow any mercy at all. I say that to myself to remind myself to be careful.

Like, every time I think about buying another motorcycle.

- barista
 
LOL
So true, unfortunately all the care in the world will never guard you against an errant driver who thinks road rules don't apply.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?