Saturday, December 30, 2006

A YEAR TO REMEMBER?

Another year gone.
Hrumph............
Don't have much to show for it really.
I'm down a bike and riding gear.
I'm up a laptop and some digital camera gear
I'm down on mobility, but up on internal body jewellery and external scarring.
The blog's nearly one year old and has turned out completely different than I anticipated.
Come to think of it, not much at all has turned out the way I anticipated it this year.
If all this sounds a bit on the melancholic side then it's probably about right.
I don't know what to make of a year when something you really like and enjoy is taken away from you and something you take for granted is also denied you.
The only motorcycling I've done in the past 9 months has been in the safety of unconscious dreaming and the only walking has been has been like some pathetic imitation, impossible without the use of various mechanical devices.
You do not suffer these events alone for there are always well wishing friends and family to help pull you along, but in the end it's down to just you and your impairments.
How you deal with them, or not, is something only you have any real power or control over.
The pain can sometimes be the only thing you have to amuse / occupy yourself with and in turn, the only challenge left, which you can try to overcome.
It's a mind game.
You versus your body versus your brain.
Like in life, you don't always win, but better to have played the game and learnt something about yourself than never attempted to because it's too scary, or too hard.
That came out a bit preachy didn't it.
Oh well.
Like I tell myself, there's always someone worse off than you.
So deal with it.


To all who have read the blog, offered help and support, visited me, sent good vibes my way, sent books, music, chocolates, beer and other delectables, got me out of the hospital and out of the city on various occasions, I hope you all have a fantastic 2007 and that your kindness comes back to you tenfold.
To all those I met in rehab, I hope your 2007 is a shitload better than 2006, may your bodies repair as fast as possible and your life return to 'relative' normality.

Happy New Year.........



Rockin' on into 2007


.

Comments:
Comments:
I met an Aussie fellow about 19 years ago, back in the snail mail days. His name was Ian Johnson (mentioning this in case by chance you two are friends--haha). He was from Perth, but we met in India. We kept in touch regularly for over a year by writing letters. He was a hoot! One very found memory was his demonstration of the camel bite on another friends thigh. Is that familiar to you--this camel bite?

(I'd have emailed this to you, but couldn't find any address on your page--so I guess everyone gets to read--oh well).

Anyway--You remind me of him because he also met his match with a semi-trailer or brick wall or something, while riding the motorcycle. I never got to see or hear much about the "bionic" parts inserted into his limbs. But I do know that he ever-so-slowly recovered, although I think it was a very low time in his life. Ian and I lost touch, probably because he couldn't write for a long time, I graduated from college, got married and had my head in the clouds... blah blah blah

I feel for ya, and love your outlook. It's good that you can share your recovery with the bloggy world in spite of the pain and suffering.

Keep at it brother! This 2007 will surely be better!!! It's gotta be, right?
 
Thanks Karen.
You'd think it wouldn't get much worse would you.

I do know of the camel bite although more as a horse bite. Many a school bus trip was spent giving each other horse bites. ;)

It's a shame you two lost touch, but that's the way it goes sometimes eh?

All the best to you and yours for the coming year. :)
 
Glad you enjoyed it Chris.
There's more to come next year so stay tuned. :)
 
Happy New Year, Chris. I'm pretty certain that 2007 is going to be a better year for everyone everywhere and I hope it's especially better for you. May your recovery progress ever faster!
xox
 
Yep, Chris, so many of us didn't have the year we thought we were going to last year. Unfortunately for you your scars are pretty much on the outside and will probably keep getting added to for a while to come. You've done a great job of getting through this with dignity and a sense of humour and perspective. There's a hell of a lot of people out there who have bucketloads (even potato truckloads) of respect for you. Remember that, in your melancholic moments.
 
It really was one of those years that test your mettle eh. Mentally, physically, emotionally, every-bloody-ly... rams home the message to all of us that we should not take anything for granted - even strolling down to the shops for a sandwich - because you just never know just what is round the corner.

Happy 2007 Chris, may it be full of good things and interesting things and laughter and silliness. And carniverous chickens galore!
Lots of love xx
 
Hey Becstar and Shoopska :)
T'was but one of those little troughs you go through eh. ;)
I've got things to do in 2007 that require me to be recovered, so until then I just plod on.
I'm sure it'll take time and effort and I have plenty of both in reserve.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?