Thursday, January 11, 2007

FROGGER AND MR. T IN: "THE HYPERLINK CIRCUS"

'
I had all the best intentions of crutching my way onto a tram and going down to the bay yesterday, but due to the oppressive heat I found myself suddenly drawn to the new Mexican cantina that's opened around the corner.
Cold beer, air conditioning and Mexican food, as well my feline curiosity meant that I spent the next few hours sampling the culinary offerings and monitoring the temperature of their beer fridge by taking regular samples of the chilled beverages within.
It really seems to appeal to the local crowd as I spotted and employee from the supermarket and the owner of the newsagent ( who kindly gave me a lift the day of the downpour ) in there having a few quiet ales.
And who else should turn up but Danny, the drummer from my old band The Sterlings!
Needless to say I never made it to the beach.


After today's return to physio and hydro I had an appointment with my rehab quack.
It ended up being a relatively productive session as we managed to formulate some sort short term plan.
She even called the surgeon to try and speed things up a bit, but as he won't be back until the start of February there's not much doing till then.
Unfortunately the trauma clinic at the hospital doesn't have any openings until March, unless they are pushed a bit by by the surgeons or doctors.
For the next few weeks there's more therapy and then maybe next month I might be able to get something done about all this freeloading metal in my body.


That arvo I got together with Mars ( the singer from The Sterlings ) for a bit of a catch up and to give him the cd of the shots I took of the band at their last gig.
Eventually he ceased plying me with beer and I got my myself and all associated internal scaffolding onto the wrong tram.
It took a few stops for me to think about whether I was on the right one or not, but in the end I managed to get the correct one.
The plan was to go down to South Melbourne beach and attempt to take some snaps.
Upon arriving there and scouting around a bit I was a bit underwhelmed by the whole scene.
I found that I really had to make an effort in finding things to shoot, which is not my idea of fun.
The closest thing it resembled would have been photojournalism, where you have to keep your eyes peeled and try to anticipate anything that might be of relative interest or photographically worthy.
Still, good practice for one's snapping instincts I say.
At one point I was contemplating taking a picture of some roller bladers, but after mentally slapping myself I moved on to the beach.



Believe me, I had to do a fair bit of sand scouring to come up with a frame, which did not include various bits of plastic, clothing material, female sanitary products, footballers or other forms of rubbish.
I would just like to state that crutches + sandy beach = not fun!
There were some lifesavers practicing getting the RIB's into the water and taking off, so I snapped away and eventually came up with a couple of interesting photos.




As I was crossing the road I very nearly literally ran into a bloke form rehab, who used to cycle quite regularly and even race.
This particular evening he was out with his wife and mate on the bikes and spotted me half way across 4 lanes of traffic.
He pulled over for a quick chat and then let me continue acting out my fantasy of being the frog from that lovable 80's computer game Frogger.
Amazing who you meet in a big city, just casually strolling around.
And thus ended my day at the beach.





Here's a little souvenir from the camping trip last weekend.
I'll see your kookaburra cuteness Maja and raise you some attitude. ;)
Tremble at the glare of the Mr. T kookaburra!!!!!
This feller had got a hold a bony piece of chicken we tossed at him and then proceeded to 'kill' it by repeatedly performing sideways head banging movements, much like Flea form the Red Hot Chilly Peppers.
It took a while for him / her to finally become satisfied that the piece of chicken was indeed deceased and ready for consumption, at which point he just swallowed the whole damned thing!

You broke my chain, fool!!! You broke my chain!!!



.

Comments:
Comments:
Hi Chris, Great pics. I really like reading your blog. You make procrastinating at work so much easier! Annemarie.
 
You know me, only glad to entertain. :)
I know all about procrastinating myself, been putting off walking for ages now, I know I'll have to do it sometime. ;)
 
Holy Ape, you've been writing this blog on crutches! I admire your spirit, Sir! Have you heard of Fatman, your fellow Melbourne blogger? Actually he lives in Williamstown, wherever that is.

http://fatramblings.blogspot.com/
 
Hey!! He looks like the exact same species as the ones I saw. Nice pics from the beach. I usually just take lots of bad photos and hope for the best.

I am free from the pits for a few days. Free Free Free! I love it when there's no gold to dig.. hahahahaha just call me the anti-geologist for now.
 
GB Yeah, been writing it on crutches, in a wheelchair, in a hospital bed, with the left hand only, with the right hand only.
Sheesh, even high on morphine I tells ya.

Maja So are you saying that 'There's no gold in them thar hills!'
That Kookaburra was positively evil, not like your friendly one.
It was blood thirsty killer!!!
And stupid to boot.
 
GB Yeah Williamstown is just another suburb in the suburban sprawl that is Melbourne.
Have not read the blog, but will go and check it out.
Cheers
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?