Tuesday, January 02, 2007

LAST DAYS AND SECOND CHANCES

'




After midnight.



The clock ticked midnight and nothing changed!!!!
I thought that maybe this whole carry on was some Cindarella style hallucination and that when the new year started everything would all return to its former state.
Wrong again, bugger it.
Oh well, just have to make do with the status quo.


It just so happened that a couple of days prior to New Year's Eve I had picked up some head cold.
This unfortunately had rendered me about as useful as Paris Hilton at a MENSA meeting and as miserable as a drag queen who'd just missed out on the last batch of discounted L'Oreal eye shadow at the post Christmas sales.
So much so, that by the time it came to go out and party I was reduced to a snotty mess, barely capable of wasting oxygen, just taking up real estate in the lounge room.
I spent the night at home, sitting around feeling shite.
I did however, decide that although I may not have been out partying I shouldn't let the night go to waste.
I tried to think of the things I would like to do in this coming year and which of these I was in a position to do at that very moment.
So I listened to music, played some bass guitar and took some night photos out the front of the house.
The camping, bushwalking, riding the new bicycle, getting a new job, travel would all have to wait until the right time was upon me.
The shot above is a product of that night and in a way represents my 2006 / 2007.
It started off pretty good, then the smash, followed by a long period of hospitalisation, then various periods of going in and out of hospital and finally somewhere towards the end is the bright patch I'm supposed to be aiming at.


Had a bit of a peak out fest. on new year's day too.
Recently I had received a phone call from a cousin, whom I hadn't spoken to in about 19 years.
He was calling from a platform in the North Sea and told me that he will be in Thailand for a few months and was hoping to maybe catch up in Australia.
He gave me a brief call on New Year's Eve and said that he was now in Thailand and would call me in a few hours.
I didn't think much of the fact that this second call never eventuated, until the next morning when I had found out about the bombings in Bankok.
That's when the internet truly became useful and I was able to find out that of the foreigners injured in the blasts, none matched my cousin.
I still hadn't heard from him, but I've got a gut feeling he's alright.


That got me thinking how I'd literally stared death in the face and instead of some bony skull, I saw the bright and shiny chrome grille of a Kenworth.
Either that or death has a really good orthodontist.
Anyway, I came to remember that it wasn't the first time this year that had occurred.
In fact there was a time only a week prior to that, which could have been rather nasty in it's own way.
In the fourth paragraph of that blog entry there is a reference to 'local boys riding two wide'.
There I was coming around a blind right hand corner when three local lads on chook chasers appeared coming the other way.
The first two were riding two abreast and the one on the outside was over the white centre line, causing me to have to suddenly change my cornering line to go out wide in order to avoid having a head on with this tool.
Maybe that was a practice run for the following weekend?


It all goes to show that you really do have to live life like it's you last day as you just don't know what's around the corner.
I had realised a long time ago that the older you get, the quicker time seems to pass.
At least now I'm taking the time to watch it go past and appreciate it for what it is, instead of wondering where the hell it went.


Next surgery is that little number to take out the blood clot filter out of my artery and it's only a week away.
Some people go back to work, I go back to hospital.
I think I shall name this one 'Operation Baboon Butt'.
It's only day surgery, but still it means going back to hospital and being poked and prodded and in the end I get an arse covered in blood.
Great........


.

Comments:
Comments:
I spent the new years eve pretty much alone at work. I did have to go out to the pits before midnight, but they didn't actually need me down there straight away so I was sitting by myself in the crib hut reading an NW magazine as the clock struck twelve.

I think you were probably thinking more positive than I was that night! I was thinking it was the most depressing night of my life, but it really wasn't.

Like I'm sure I've already commented in your blog before, this year is going to be better than last year.

Good on ya dude!
 
What an awesome photo!

Good luck with Operation Baboon Butt. Doesn't sound like much fun... hope you're feeling better.
 
Probably not the most exciting night of your life I imagine Maja.
But you get those occasionally eh.
Bring on 2007 I say!!!!!

Thanks Karen :)
It's only a minor day surgery, but still a hassle though.
All the carry on, geez.....
Only another step towards recovery I reckon.
 
Nice symbolic shot Chris... very good. And why is it a rule that everyone has to go mad nuts and have the greatest nights of their lives every December 31st?
Bugger it, this year, I'm having a party on December 29. And on the 31st, I'm going to bed. So there!
All the best for the Baboon Butt... xx
 
Cheers sis :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?