Tuesday, January 16, 2007

UNA VISTA DE LOS MUERTOS

Went to practice some more night shooting last night, after spending some meaningful time at The Comfortable Chair in trivia training.
I found that the chair I was in was in fact directly the opposite.
I don't think even normal people would be overly comfortable in it.
We had the drinks voucher from our last win and Trivial Pursuit.
The beer and the board game kept us amused for hours and it was good practice, and a good lesson in trusting your instincts.
After the game was over and the beer was drunk I headed off to the cemetery.
A bit disappointed that you can't get in there at night, but I guess you don't want any sort of rabble running around there, let alone some half pissed dude on crutches with a tripod and stuff.
Imagine that, the grounds keeper arriving in the morning to find some dead cripple with his head smashed on some tombstone, having tripped over the crutches or tripod, with the camera bearing witness to the very last second of my demise.
It would make an interesting photograph though.

Still need to work out how to focus at night as at the moment it's all done by feel and estimation, resulting in things being a touch fuzzy.
And it's nothing to do with the beer.






.

Comments:
Comments:
My cousin and I were in London and went to see Karl Marx's grave but didn't get to the cemetary until after 4pm and it was closed, so we walked around the perimeter until we found a gap in the fence and went in anyway. That made it all the more interesting, really. Workers of the world unite!
 
Interesting--a locked up grave yard. The one's around here are not gated. Your photos are haunting! Especially the shawdowy figure looking in... oooohhh creepy! ;-)
 
Glad the comfy chair comment made the blog... ;-)

You've reminded me of when I was in Munich back in 1998. There was a cemetery around the corner from my friend Michael's house. He suggested I visited it as it had a few significant graves. It was also home to a chamber where they cooked some Nazis for war crimes.
Anyways, was busy exploring at dusk (at about 3.30pm or so, it was winter and freezing). Next thing I knew I heard some bells, so I guessed the cemetery was closing. Made my way to the gate, closed. Next gate, closed and so on. Started to panic. Checked out the fences and didn't like my chances of making it over them without something getting impaled on some nasty looking pickets. It became dark and mild panic started to set in; tried to remember if I'd told Michael I was off to the cemetery and wondered if he'd come looking for me.
After about another half hour I finally found a guard. Got yelled at in German, then I yelled back in English that 2 minutes warning that a big cemetery is closing is hardly enough time. He eventually softened and I got driven to the main gate, grateful I wouldn't have to spend the night with Nazi war criminal ghosts.
 
Damns!
Everyone's got some wild story about graveyards eh.
One could write a book on that subject "Tales from the crypts" or something. ;)
I think I would rather get locked out of a cemetery rather than in, especially in my condition.
I dare say I could probably fashion some sort of climbing utensil out of the crutches and tripod, kind of MacGyver style, but still wouldn't want to chance it.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?