Tuesday, February 20, 2007

11 MONTHS ON AND THE SUDDEN REALITY OF ROAD TRAUMA............

Bizarre how lives are connected.
As we were being told by the neighbour at 4:30 on Sunday morning that the police she had rung could not attend due to a car smash, one of the girls from the shop 4 houses away was being cut out of that very car and transported to the trauma centre at Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Sunday was my 11 month milestone since the smash with the truck and whilst I was enjoying my new found mobility and generally having a good time, she was just starting her healing road.
I only found out about her today when the shop owner told me.
It sounds as if she has sustained a head injury, as well as loss of sensation and compartment syndrome, which at one point was heading towards a leg amputation.
I believe she has had a fasciotomy, much like mine, performed on that leg and hopefully will be able to avoid the amputation.
I'm hoping to see her tomorrow.
It won't be the first time I'll be visiting someone in trauma / intensive care ward and I think the time I visited David, who went on to become a good friend, has gone a long way to prepare me for this sort of thing.
It's really hard to know what to say to someone in that situation, even having experienced similar trauma myself, but if it helps that person in only a small way to begin to cope with the sudden change to their life / state of being and the completely foreign path they are forced to tread, then it can only be a good a thing.


.

Comments:
Comments:
Which girl from the shop was it? That is horrible, horrible stuff.

Hope your visit helps her in some way. Tell her my thoughts are with her.

The crazy thing was when I was watching that smash on the news I had a weird feeling it wasn't going to be the last time I heard about that accident.

On a completely unrelated and lighter note; we came second at The East trivia last night. Would have won if two CORRECT answers had not been crossed out and replaced with INCORRECT ones (no names mentioned to protect the identity of the guilty people. Needless to say, they suffered the wrath of Bec).
Doesn't matter how many times the universe beats me about the head with it, I just never seem to listen to the lesson of sticking to my initial gut instinct.
Still, was good to know we can do it without your Scottish Empy mate's help ;-)
And it was great having both Mel and Gino there. Joseph was his usual handy self too.
 
Glad to hear it went well.
I'm trying to keep my head low this week, for obvious reasons.

I didn't get a chance to see her today, hopefully tomorrow.
 
Oh, it was the greek girl.
 
Sorry to hear it Chris, sounds awful. I hope things go as well as they can for her in the coming weeks (and months). I'm sure a visit from you would help, if only to remind her that someone she knows has been there and is getting through to the other side... I'll be sending some thoughts her way (and yours) xx
 
Appreciated sis. :)
 
Yeah it's pretty shitty, can't seem to get away from this road trauma business.
 
Oh, she's a lovely girl, I was hoping it wasn't her! But then, it had to be someone there and they're all pretty bloody nice.

You must feel like road trauma is a ghost that won't stop haunting you.

Hang in there, mate, and if I can do anything, please do let me know...
 
Cheers Bec, might take you up on that some time.
 
It sounds to me like you really have a special sense of compassion--going in to visit with those who have experienced "road trauma" such as what you've been through. I'm sure your visit will bring hope.
 
Yeah, it went well KK.
She was very appreciative.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?