Saturday, February 24, 2007

ALL GOOD ON THE TRAUMA FRONT..............

Good news!!!
I visited the girl in hospital yesterday and she is not as badly smashed up as I thought.
Turns out she's only got a fractured femur in one leg and the other leg has a few more fractures requiring some metalwork.
The compartment syndrome wound was closed without requiring skin grafts, which is fantastic.
When I was told that she couldn't feel her legs, I was very apprehensive about seeing her.
Not even someone like myself can relate to what that must be like to endure.
I did visit David in intensive care after his smash and wasn't too sure how I was going to deal with trying to relate to someone who has lost an arm, but I guess it was a bit easier in the sense that I had never known him with two arms.
This girl however was someone I had know prior to the smash and always seen on her feet around the shop.
Thankfully the only bit she can't feel is a patch on one of her thighs, probably from the initial trauma or the subsequent surgery.
It was good to get the visit out of the way as it had been screwing with my head the length of the week.
As she'll be going to Epworth rehab on Monday I filled her in on what to expect on that ward and also in the coming months.
Little trade secrets like ordering potato wedges with cream for the nurses to earn brownie points were divulged along with other tips and hints on how to try to get through that period as painlessly as possible.


The whole week has had me going through a bit of soul searching, mainly in reference to my own recovery and what it means to me in the big scheme of things.
Coming up to a year having passed since the start of my healing road and I'm trying to think of how to mark the anniversary, or whether to even mark it at all.
After all, it's just another date on the calendar.
Should I have a get together with my mates to celebrate being able to be with them?
Should I just let the day pass like any other and maybe just have a quiet moment of reflection?
I'm sure the answers to these questions will come to me in good time, so I'm not going to worry about it for now because as everyone knows, worrying doesn't achieve anything at all.




.

Comments:
Comments:
I'd celebrate! But then again... any excuse for a celebration is my motto.

I'm glad your visit with the girl went well. Loved the trade secrets--haha.
 
The thing is, how do you celebrate something like that?
 
Well that's true... I guess the celebration is the idea that you are still here!
 
I'm sure I'll come up with some weird concept, probably after a bottle of red or something.
 
I think you should try to walk as many times as possible over the day... sorta to give the whole thing a bit of a middle finger gesture.
 
I think you're onto something there Maja. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?