Tuesday, August 28, 2007

TEH 'HOFF HAS EATEN.......

It is done.
My first two rolls of film have been digested by Teh 'Hoff.
I don't know what possessed me to jump in the photographic deep end like that, well more like the photographic Marianas Trench really, with no scuba gear or even floaties.
Not having shot a Hasselblad before, not having shot manually with film, not having shot a model or portrait, all these things made for a very nerve wracking experience last Thursday.
I was as giddy as a teenager about to get laid for the first time and considering the model hadn't modelled before, that made us both photographic virgins of the highest order.
The expectations were high, the skills to pay the bills were low, the location unfamiliar, I was wielding a tool I'd never shot in front of anyone, aaarrrrghhh!!!!

I've just picked up the 12 colour and 12 b&w prints from that session.
Out of the 24 shots there are possibly 1 or two that I find acceptable and 2 more that kind of work on a more artistic rather than technical level.
All the photos had some element that I really liked and was trying to incorporate into the portrait, but never seemed to appear together in the one frame damn it!!!
The one thing that did work out was my timing of it all.
I managed to allocate the right amount of time for the costume selection / fitting, time to get to the location, time to set up, do the shoot & pack down and time to get to the photo processing lab to drop off the films.
Apart from the unfortunate lighting, which goes into the 6 P's category ( planning & preparation prevents piss poor performance ) I felt I couldn't have prepared myself better really.
I'd learnt A LOT during that shoot.

Initially I had a bit of trouble finding the right location and in the end chose one that I felt 'would have to do'.
Everything about it was good with the exception of one thing and that was a pesky halogen down light that I couldn't turn off.
It cast awful shadows all over the model and made it really difficult to get the kind of poses I was after.
There was nothing for it, I just had work around it as best as I could with my limited skills and knowledge.

I picked Sarah to model for me as I felt she was very photogenic.
She's a barmaid at 'the place that sells bad beer' and also a dancer ( not exotic Mr Bananas ).
Sarah was a joy to work with and looked fab in the 1920's flapper outfit.
I found out why those pro model photographer spew forth all that 'You look great honey, show me more rowrwrrr, oh yeah, now a little more to the side, oh yeah baby that's great!' malarkey.
The model has no idea what you want them to do so it's up to the photographer to communicate everything, be it verbally or non verbally.
I found that whole aspect quite challenging, but thankfully Sarah was just awesome to work with.

I made little notes in a pad for future reference.
Things like type of film used, shutter speed & aperture setting.
With digital photography all that information is stored with every photo and I can look it up at will and learn form it, but with film I have to be meticulous about recording the settings if I am to have any hope gaining anything from past mistakes.

I left the colour film for scanning at the lab and will have that later in the week, so fear not that you will miss out on this celluloid goodness, it will be coming to you live and exclusive on the Moomins M.C. blog very shortly.
Hopefully in less time than it has taken me to write another post since the one a week ago.

Whilst talking with the cats in the photo lab I realised just how ignorant I am when it comes to film photography and that has cemented my decision to find an appropriate training course to attend.
And so begins another chapter in the Zuba's truck smash recovery, discovery of photography, pursuit of photographic excellence, etc, blah blah blah.


Thursday I finally watched the final episode of Lost.
That show drives me batty!!
It's the most ludicrous audio visual offering since Death Race 2000.
I waited for my mate Keli to come back from Fiji as he hadn't seen it either and when the show first aired in Australia we made a pact to stick with it to the end.
Now I have to wait until next year because there's another season!!!!!
AARrggghhhhHHHH!!!!


Sunday was another heat of the greater Brunswick area Roast Off II.
Bec came out fighting with a pork roast, crackling + gravy and all, with forked baked spuds, pumpkin and beans with lemon and sliced almonds.
Following up with an apple crumble and vanilla ice cream.
Mmmmmm delish!!!
Onya Bec!


A new arrival to my blog roll is the comedienne Lucy from over stateside.
She's the one who put me onto the term Metabigotry.
Lucy's asked to do an interview with me, around the topic of comedy, which should be pretty cool.
Admittedly I do enjoy a good bit of comedy, the best abs workout you can get with your pants on I reckon.
I even entertained the notion of getting up for an open comedy mic night, but managed to talk myself out of it, who knows, maybe one day.
My mates tell me I'm funny, but in that way where they slowly back away with one eyebrow raised.


On the medical front, I've rang the Alfred hospital yesterday to see how my appointment for a plastics review was progressing only to be told there is no trace on the system at all.
I then phoned my ortho surgeon to see if he could shed some light on the situation and was informed by his secretary that he has indeed spoken with plastics dept. recently and things are rolling again.
I might just give the plastics another call tomorrow to find out if I'm back on the system.

Physio has been the usual drudgery, but there is talk of releasing me into a public gym sometime after my next surgery.
Good thing that, and even better considering my psychologist recently pronounced me safe to be in public by myself and gave me permission to use metal cutlery,with food only.
Nah but seriously, she reckons I don't need to see her at this point in time, which to me is a darn good thang!!!
So things are all swell at the moment!

That leads me to my next little announcement: I've found Snorkmaiden!
If you are not familiar with the Snorkmaiden you can find some information here, look for the one with a flower in the hand ;)


.

Comments:
Comments:
I cannot wait to see the photos!
 
And you won't have to wait long Gemma Gems.
;)
 
Well everyone wants to see the Sarah pics now.

There was a moomin creature with a funny name like fillador or something. What was that?
 
You are a brave man, taking your first ever proper film photos in an actual photo shoot... bloody hell. Looking forward to seeing the shots! And hearing more about what photographic "patter" you ended up coming out with...
 
How very exciting about teh'hoff.

You've certainly been creating and collecting a repitoire of comic material for your stand up act, right. Go for it. And yet another post-smash interests emerges.

And about the Roast Off II. Doesn't Bec want to come on out to the Hamptons? I'm feeling a stong hankerin' for good cookin. And suddenly, I'm really hungry.
 
I too can't wait to see the photos. I went to DA and fell in love with your new toy. Note: I would call it as The Hasselhoff too. What a cool camera. I'm so envious. I loved your post, laughed out loud I did.
 
So... will we see the photos SOONER or LATER?

As for the hospital scheduling thing, well...
I wouldn't be surprised if you're magically back in the system the next day.

Complainant: "Hey! I have a problem with X!"
Complainee: "I don't see a problem. Check again."
Complainant: "Well... its fixed now. You fixed it, didn't you.
Complainee: "No! No, there was never a problem."
Complainant: "I know God-damn well there was a problem. You fixed it, and you don't want to admit there was a problem."
Complainee: "I'm very sorry, but you must be mistaken. No problem here at all. Ever."
 
GB - Fillijonk I think, a real stiff.

Sis - You know me, always up fer a challenge.

Karen - Meh ;) Maybe one day. Bec will take any excuse to cook up dome delish goodness, location maybe another thing though.

Mitch - Thanks, I think I will need to learn to develop my own film soon and maybe buy a scanner so I can share the shots online. You'd love this camera I reckon, it's a joy to use. Beautiful lens, big view finder and makes all the right noises,

SafeT - Sounds like you've been there before yeah? ;)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?