Wednesday, September 05, 2007

THE LIFE AQUATIC

I would like share with you a little about my hydro therapy sessions.
Since July last year I have been going to the pool.
It started off 5 days a week, eventually down to 3 and I've been doing twice a week for the last 2-3 months.
I generally bring in a CD to help me along, anything from Classical, Jazz to Cypress Hill or Nine Inch Nails.
Initially hydro was a way for me to practice walking with the water taking up 80% of my bodyweight plus various range of movement and strengthening exercises.
For a while now I've been using my time there to relax my body and do some stretches after intense physio sessions.
Incidentally, I've just started a new physio program which is a lot more intense and I will be receiving a right royal flogging in there from now on.
Getting back to the pool.
I find it very relaxing now, especially doing laps under water and above.
It's the closest to snorkeling I get nowdays, except the sights aren't so pretty.
There are some differences between swimming at the beach and in hydro.
You don't swim between the flags, more like between the band aids.
If you happen to get a mouthful of water in the sea you get some salt, a bit of sand maybe and possibly some bits of seaweed, all good.
If you get a mouthful of water in hydro it's likely to be bits of flaking skin graft and chlorine.
Mmmmmm yummy.......
The motion of the ocean is replaced by someone next to you flailing about performing some exercise or some such thing.
Instead of seeing wonderful seaside views and sea creatures you get to see all those scars and deformities that patients usually have covered up.
No sand, broken sea shells and sea plants just hygienic uniformly spaced and coloured tiles and stainless steel.
It is a bit of an equaliser though as no matter who you are and what your injuries are all you can generally see in the water are the heads, sometimes a bit of upper body.
Oh, except for Jason who's a dwarf and the whole pool is a deep end for him.
Sometimes we just float in a corner somewhere, being sore and discussing everything from the mid east problems to more deep and meaningful topics like girls and stuff.
I have been half heartedly campaigning for an espresso machine and or bar to be installed pool side, but alas for all my lamentations we are still drinkless.
Later in the change rooms you are likely to hear things like "FAAARRRRKKKK!!! What happened to YOU!?" as someone notices another patients injuries.
I get changed, pull my CD from the sound system and carry on my merry way.
And so the wonderful aquatic experience ends for another day.



Eid, hard at work.



.

Comments:
Comments:
Hilarious! Ok--those noodles that the nice looking fellow was floating around with, there in your pic... we have those noodles in our pool, and the boys get into MAJOR wars with them--completely shredding them to pieces. So, I'm just saying, if you want to spice things up a little in hydro... you could even use them to further you demands for poolside drinks.
 
I suppose you're not quite ready to try diving then?
 
Karen - The noodles are only the tip of the iceberg, you should see some of the toys we cripples get to play with!
Fair call on supplementing my pleas with a little noodle bashing though.

Mr Bananas - Oh I'm up for it, just kit me up and throw me overboard. I'd be quite happy to have a tilt at it, I hear narcosis can be quite a buzz.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?