Sunday, February 17, 2008

COME HELL OR HIGH WATER...........

After a very late night and decidedly drunk jam session on Thursday night with Glen I felt quite seedy, but very satisified.
I hadn't jammed with someone of his abilities for quite some time and it was an absolute joy to play some of our favourite tunes.



The following morning I took off on the two day trip to reach Townsville in time for Steve's 50th birthday on Saturday.
I wanted to get as many kilometres under my belt as possible for two reasons: 1) it would mean less k's the next day and 2) I was hearing reports of massive flooding further north, exactly where I needed to be the next day.
In fact the flooding in Mackay was some of the worst in nearly a century.
Over 6 metres of rain in 6 hours!!!!!
Surrounding areas were also flooding and the roads were being closed and there were also reports of salt and fresh water crocodiles being carried throughout the area by the waters.
I made it to Clairview after about 11 hours behind the wheel.


View Larger Map

The next day I pushed on north and made Mackay, although the waters had receded there was still evidence of the deluge that swamped the city.
I picked up a hitch hiker who turned out to be very useful indeed.
Upon coming across our first flooded area of road he instructed me to sit right up the arse of a semitralier and use the truck to clear a path through the water.
Pretty hair raisng stuff for someone who has never done it before.
After about three of these crossings we came to one which he claimed was the worst one, but was still confident we would make it through.
I put the car into low range four wheel drive and proceeded into the flood.
As we drove further and further into it I got that sinking feeling as the water seemed to be getting deeper and deeper.
At this point the hitch hiker proclaimed that he'd never seen it this bad before!!!
Not exactly what I wanted to hear.
A little later I dropped him off at a town and continued north.
Eventually I was getting closer to Townsville but I was aware that there was one more crossing to go and one of the locals had told me that if I went now I might be able to make it through.
Upon reaching this flooded road I saw a big line of cars ahead, so I moved up behind a semitrailer and went further towards the front of the queue.
There I saw a ute coming from across the flooded road and he told me not to go through it as he now had 4 inches of water in his car.
This was contrary to what the policeman told said to me.
He reckoned I might make it across, but his 3 tonne Landcruiser was being buffetted as the water wasn't very deep but was flowing fairly quickly.
Given his implied encouragement I had a go at it and managed to make it to the other side.
I got to Townsville at 3pm local time! Woo hoo!!
Townsville is much nicer than Gold Coast, it has character and hills, very pretty indeed.
Tomorrow I leave the coast and start my journey inland, heading south west towards the outback.

Current location:

View Larger Map

At the start of one of the crossings.


The end of the last crossing.


.

Comments:
Comments:
That is sooo wet.
 
Far out that is some scary stuff. Lucky you were in a four wheel drive!
 
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Bloody hell, you stay safe in all that watery excitement Zub!
 
You have quite the life....enjoy!
 
Hehehe, all fun and games. Until someone loses an eye yeah?
All going well so far, and more to come!!!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?