Tuesday, March 18, 2008

2 YEARS AND COUNTING.......

2 years today.
Exactly 2 years ago I had my second birth.
Once again I couldn't walk, couldn't get onto the potty by myself let alone wipe my arse, had trouble feeding myself, couldn't even roll over.
Two years on and I find myself in a much better state physically and mentally.
The recovery process is still in progress, but the end is nearing.
Both the rehab doctor and physiotherapist are talking of setting me up in a gym for a while to work on strngthening my body, a good step as it means I have reached another level in my recovery.
It has all taken much much longer than I expected or was actually necessary, but all in all I'm happy with the outcome.
I'm still expecting some plastic surgery on my lower right leg later in the year.
The surgeon who worked on it won't be back until May, but I don't want to let someone else at it as she did all the original work.
The plan is to reduce the size of the scar.
The surgery was performed when my leg was very swollen with the last stages of compartment syndrome.
It still swells up a lot today and I always wear a double pressure bandage to try to alleviate it to some extent.
I'm hoping that by reducing the size of the scar, therefore the amount of loose skin, the leg's ability to swell so much will also be reduced.
That should be the last surgery for quite some time I reckon.
So here we are, two years on.
I feel I have achieved things both medically and personally with which I'm happy with.
Now I can start to concentrate a bit less on rehab and more on living my life, developing my relationships with friends and loved ones as well my new found passion of photography.

Cheers to all who have helped and supported me on this journey.

.

Comments:
Comments:
It sure has been one hell of a journey. Cheers to you!
 
I canĀ“t believe it has been that long. But then I am an observer. Good going and may the rest of your journey be ever so sweet.
 
In some ways it seems like less than 2 years and in others much longer. Hoping the next one will be better than ever eh....
 
Every end is a new beginning....
I think you are well on your way to becoming a great photographer! I think I mispelled that, but anywho....great job on your journey. I can hardly believe that I was in the shape I was in just a few short months ago, and now can go on with my life as if my accident never happened. Well, almost. It never seems to leave me completely. It's just who you are now. And in the end makes you better somehow.
 
Totally agree with you Liz, and it will always be there, but hopefully as reminder to live your life as fully as you can, never know when it gets turned upside down.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?