Monday, September 29, 2008

ALL ABOUT KNOWING YER ARSE FROM YER ELBOW......

I saw my pelvis surgeon last week, just for a routine review. I popped into radiology, once again got irradiated in the nether regions and made my way to his surgery. Max is a gun surgeon with a very straight up almost manic manner of discussing things medical, but combined with a subtle yet dry sense of humour. Upon walking into the surgery he immediately had to ask why my left arm was in a sling.

"You know how you said I should ride a bike to strengthen up my legs?"
"Yes."
"Well, I did. And I fell off and broke my elbow."
"OK, go back and get it x-rayed and come back."

So off I went back to radiology, and this time got my elbow irradiated. I walked back to Max's surgery, once again clutching a bag of films and presented them to him. He confirmed that there was indeed a fracture there and that I should remove the sling immediately and start moving the elbow in order to keep the joint mobile. Since then I have been pushing it out straight, squeezing it closed and rotating the forearm. I still can't get it straight or fully closed and I'm hoping that the pain is worth it in these exercises, but I'm really hoping I'll regain full mobility.

I might sound like I'm whinging a bit, and that may be the case, but I'm more annoyed than anything else. Annoyed at myself for doing it in the first place and annoyed at the fact that I can't use it for anything. Max instructed me not to drive for 4 weeks from the fracture date and not to use it for any lifting or straining. That sort of rules out its use in any meaningful manner. It hasn't stopped me shooting though and last weekend I spent a couple of days at the farm belonging to Snorkmaiden's folks where amongst other things I witnessed my first mulesing at a neighbouring merino farm.
This does not look like a very pleasant thing to go through if you're a sheep and it certainly put my sore elbow into perspective. I'd rather have a sore elbow than have the skin around my arse cut away.
Got photos too but unless someone specifically asks I will refrain from posting them for now.

Speaking of photos, I entered a pic in a competition at Brunswick Street Gallery and although I didn't win, I did make the short list and received and invitation to exhibit my photographs either late this year or next year.


.

Comments:
Comments:
Congratulations with the photography - good things happen along with the crap.. Hope the arm gets better soon. Also, better having a piece of your arse taken away than have it fly blown... and eaten... ewwww
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?