Friday, October 16, 2009

OF COUCH AND CRUTCHES.........

Wow, talk about slack.
Over 3 months between posts, sheesh.
So here's a brief synopsis:

Young Thomas is going well. Doing all the things young babies should be doing.
Poo, wee, feed and sleep.

After the initial chaos of having a newborn to deal with, things settled down a bit.
Slowly a routine was established by the new mum, dad and baby.
With mum recovering from the C section we spent the next few weeks finding our feet and learning about the needs and wants of the new addition in our lives.
Pretty steep learning curve it was too, as all new parents will testify.

As mum was recovering from the surgery I was preparing for some more.
This time nothing related to the smash.
I needed 3 wisdom teeth removed and this was done towards the end of the 7 weeks I had off work. All went well with the surgery, but a few days later I got a dry socket infection which required another visit to the dental surgeon.
This time he flushed out a bunch of trapped food in the socket and caused me some of the most awesome pain I have come across.
Being no stranger to pain, this time I was literally speechless and semi rocking in the chair.
Took me about 10-15 min before I could hold a conversation again.
Given the complications, my return to work was delayed by a few more days.


Flushing out the infected socket......

So the weeks rolled on, with mum and bub at home and myself at work.

Whilst I was at home I managed to do a small commercial photography job for a plastics company.
It was certainly a good experience in regards to just how much people don't know what they want, or are unable to communicate it effectively. I learnt quickly that you almost have to be a mind reader, or at least be able to steer them in the right direction, in order to come up with the goods that they will be happy with.

I also managed to get a domain name and host for a future website, but still don't have a logo, so the design has kind of stalled at the moment.

The photography has taken a slight back seat at the moment as one of my main projects is to get the Subaru ready for the outback 3 week trip at Easter.
You may ask why do that now? Well, because by the time Christmas comes, then January, then back to school, then there is no time to get any of it done, so I'd rather get it out of the way now.
There's a bit to do. A cargo barrier was bought and needs to be installed, as we will have more gear in the car now + an extra passenger. A new roof rack / tray to take the tent and fuel cans, the holey exhaust was replaced with a better flowing system, a new carburettor going on, 2 inch body lift kit will be fitted, new rear shock absorbers and I have to make a spare wheel carrier to fit on the rear bumper as the off road spare will not fit into the normal spar tyre spot.
Still a few things left.


As I write this I am lying on the couch recovering from my latest bout with the scalpel.
Tuesday I arrived at the hospital for some plastic surgery on my leg and as I alighted from the car I managed to jam my little finger in the door. Blood was drawn and more pain. I looked at it as a warm up for post surgery.
Thankfully the 3 hour long operation went well and the surgeon managed to divide a motor control nerve to a muscle graft ( which will hopefully allow me to run ) and also take out a 2cm section of scar tissue/ skin graft going from knee to ankle.
I was able to go home after only one night in the hospital, with strict instruction not to put any weight on the right leg until I see the surgeon in one week.
She also mentioned that she may do one more operation to remove another section of scar tissue later on down the track.

For now, it's back to lying around on the couch until further notice.
Here, in no particular order, are some pics of our son Thomas Jakub, as taken by his new parents:




















.

Comments:
Comments:
Gorgeous! Some photos he looks sooo serious and then others a total goofball - pretty good I think!
Speedy recovery!
 
Oh, that Thomas is AMAZING!!!

So, it takes being laid up with post-surgery recovery to get you to blog?? WHATEVER! ;-)

Hope that nerve heals well and you can find your ability to run again. sorry to hear about the rough bout with the widom teeth extractions. Ouch!
 
NM: Yeah, he can be a bit of both, depending on his mood at the time.

KK: He's pretty special indeed.
And yes, maybe that is what it takes to make me write now days. Hope to rectify that soon. :)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?