Monday, September 11, 2006

BEERS, BEAKERS AND BABOONS

I'm glad to report that the house is in one piece after the party there a couple of weeks ago ( the one when I was recovering from my last operation ).
There was a bit of worry however, as I could not locate my little islander girl record.
I hope it gets found by the next time I visit.


I also had a brief visit from the Ryba family from Tassie on Saturday, who were up for the weekend.
They came bearing yet more of my beloved nectar, Cascade Red, some local chocolates and some Goodies dvd's.
The chockies have been eaten, the dvd's are being watched and the beer will be drunk at a later time when my bone graft healing has reached a satisfactory state.
So a big thank you to Mirek, Ela and Krzys :)


It was with much frustration that I sat there on Saturday night and watched as my mates guzzled down litres upon litres of beer and smoked packets upon packets of cigarettes like seasoned pros.
Knowing how much alcohol and cigarettes inhibit the healing process, especially bone grafts, I was resigned to sitting there like a dumb turd, sober as a judge and watching everyone else progress through the various stages of alcoholic influence.
That sucked and eventually I cracked and had a stubby with a cigarette.
I felt better afterwards.

I felt much worse later though, when I watched Australia get soundly beaten by South Africa in the tri nations rugby union competition.
Bloody sick useless Wallabies!!!!
They played with about as much motivation and drive as a particular older patient in physio.
This bloke was on a hand bike machine, where you pedal with your hands.
He would do about 3-4 very slow turns and stop.
Then, he'd have a sleep, wake up when one of his hands fell off the pedal / handle and do 3-4 more, and do it all over again.


Speaking of patients, we've got a father and daughter addition here on our ward.
The father, an elderly Italian chap who constantly salutes everyone and the daughter who's a bit affected upstairs.
They are in separate rooms and she seems to spend most of the time yelling out "Papa! Papa!"
This is driving some of the other patients crazy and I didn't really appreciate it until I returned on Sunday night.
I could hear this "Papa! Papa!" from the other and of the ward so I went down for a look and sure enough there she was yelling in her high pitched voice.
When she's not calling out for him, she's having conversations with 'people' in her room.
It's a bit cruel but I gotta say, she did remind me a lot of Beaker from the Muppets.
Sitting up in his bed across the hall was another fellow patient, yelling "Shut up! Shut up!"


They'll let anyone on to this ward.



Gonna have a whinge now, but it's my blog and I'll whinge away to my heart's content if I want to and there isn't a damn thing anyone can do about it!
:p
I had the unfortunate displeasure of having to deal with some half witted situations.
I will not name the offenders as they probably know who they are.
One was hell bent on hypocritically wasting my time and the other, after bumping into my muscle grafted leg and having had an explanation offered as to the reason why it feels unpleasant, decided to repeatedly poke that very area and ask with a drunken smile:


"So if I do that, you can feel it on the back of your leg?"


It was only out of respect for the latter's partner that I didn't immediately let fly with a torrent of expletives and an honest, if harsh opinion on their character at that very moment.
As for the former, that person is unfortunately a mate of mine and I had too much self restraint and respect for them to let fly at that particular time even though that person did add to an already awful moment.
At the time I was nostalgically staring, whilst holding back a tear or two, at a couple of photos from previous motorbike trips and thinking of how I might not ever be able to sit around a fire, in a secluded bit of nature after a hard day's riding, with some mates and a cold beer in my hand, with the promise of more riding and camping the following day.


Oh god, why have you loosed these creatures upon me?
Are they here to test me?
Am I that bad a person that I am forced to deal with insensitive baboons, on top of all the other shite I've had to deal with?


.

Comments:
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?