Saturday, June 16, 2007

THE JOYS OF EDITING AND SERENDIPITY......

I FINALLY managed to wade through the backlog of RAW photos that have been languishing on my laptop like some neglected puppies in the pound.
There are many advantages to digital photography such as: no film costs, no processing costs, the ability to take a jag load of photos, the ability to edit the said photos to within an inch of their little binary lives.
It's the last one that can turn into a real nightmare, as I've found out.
I try not to over edit my shots, mainly some colour and contrast correction, resizing, maybe a little cropping, but even that still takes up time.
Firstly editing in the RAW editor, then in Photoshop, every photo takes an 'x' amount of time.
Multiply 'x' by the number of shot 'y' and you end up with hours and hours of manically tapping away at the keyboard.
This is where the ability to hand over your film to a qualified professional and say 'Make it happen, I'll be back tomorrow' becomes rather appealing.
Unless of course, you're into doing your own processing and printing.
Anyway, I now have some shots to upload, but first some updates.


The new pain in outside of my lower right leg seems to be slowly increasing.
I have a feeling that as the muscles build up due to increased mobility, they start to foul on the great big chunk of metal plate, thus the pain....

Another new pain has developed on the inside of my left knee.
Once again I think it's the built up muscle that's now catching on the sharp end of one of the distal bolts going through the knee.

The pain in the arse is still exactly that.
It seems that no matter how much I try to build up and stretch the hamstring it just persists on irritating the B'jesus out of me.
Standing and lying flat are the only positions that appear to free of that particular pain.

With the onset of the colder weather I have noticed a strange phenomenon occurring.
My right foot is decidedly colder than the left one!
I'm suspecting that it's from reduced circulation to that part of my body.
I guess that when I sustained the damage to the lower leg and consequently lost a pound of flesh or two, my vascular system had been screwed up / rerouted / reduced. ( I consider the pound of flesh to be payment for keeping the leg )
I tried to run the other day.
The tram was about a block away and I tried to race the 30m or so in order not to miss it.
I managed to get about 2 steps and nearly died.
The brain is just a wee tad ahead of the body I methinks.

Still getting back pain, usually at its worst when I'm at work.
I try to keep an eye on it and stretch or rest or go for a walk, but like the afore mentioned neglected puppies, it just keeps following me around.

Physio is as dull as ever.
Every time I walk in there and a find the same old people, doing the same old exercises, accompanied by the same old grunts, sighs and yelps of pain.
It is really is tedious.
Necessary, but tedious...

The hunt for a shrink is on again due to the last one not really gelling with me.
Might have better luck with shrink number 2 on the list.

I got word from my lawyer that she will be pushing to have my status changed to medically stable in order to begin the common law claim.
I still have some outstanding assessment appointments to attend with the psychologist, orthopaedic surgeon and another one that escapes me right now, but she believes there's enough evidence now to make some moves on the settlement.
Either way, it's pretty much out of my hands and I see no point in dwelling on it.

Enough of that.


I went on the hunt for cameras this last week.
First stop was the shop where I bought my current camera and they tried to sell me a brand new medium format film range finder camera for $2500, discounted from $4000 as they haven't been able to sell it for the last 3-4 years.
Not my thing as the view finder in those is tiny and focusing becomes an issue.
I went to another store and they weren't able to help me as they didn't have the kind of camera I wanted, but they did tell me about another shop that might.
On Friday, I was wandering around the city after physio, shooting things and trying to remember what the hell that shop was called and where it was.
As I passed an alleyway I turned around and went to take a photo of it.
At the same time, another photographer did exactly the same thing and there was this funny little moment where we looked at each other and realised we both had similar tastes in subject matter.
Fortunately for me, he knew exactly where that shop was and so I toddled off to shop number 3.
The people there were extremely helpful and I came to the conclusion that the camera for me is the Hasselblad.
3 reasons: they are the best, they are durable and the only camera in that format that's still in production, so getting parts should be relatively easy.
Now it's a case of finding the right camera kit at the right price.
I should be able to pick up a 2nd hand unit for pretty much the amount of money I was planning on spending.
Goody goody gum drops!!!!


On the way home I ran into Rob and we headed off to Max Brenner Chocolate Bar for a bit of a catch up.
We were quite a sight, both hobbling along with limps in our right legs, a lot like synchronised cripple walking if there is such a sport.
Man, the drinking chocolate was just divine and came in HugMugs, little tear drop shaped vessels that fit perfectly in cupped hands on a chilled winter's day.
Rob seems to be going ok, back at work for some time, back on the motorbike and entertaining 3 young magpies that seem to visit his house all the time.
I think it's due to the mince he and his partner keep feeding them.


All in all, a very serendipitous day.
Alright, time for some photos, feel free to click for larger view :)


Some shots from Gemma's short film shoot

Gemma and one of the actors at the film shoot.


The car crash scene being prepared.


The main actor.


Bec's housewarming party

N copping a serving from Bec the cocktail mistress.


Ingird, clearly delighted by the nibbles platter.


Monique enjoying the nibblies.


Shots form around Melbourne

Flinders Street station.


Bit of abstract photography.


The eyes have it.


Autumnal Melbourne.


The view from outside my house on Friday.


It was cold enough to snow at the Arts Centre ;)


The view outside the International Space Station.


The moon as seen from the International Space Station.


The Arts Centre.


Melbourne café culture.


.

Comments:
Comments:
What a beautiful looking street you live in!

Bummer about all those aches and pains, but I guess it reminds you that you're alive.

New camera, how exciting!
 
It is a very nice street, many people comment on that when they visit.

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked about the prospect of a new toy!!!
 
i look terrible!!
 
Gemma, you look fine, just another producer slash animal wrangler, rugged up against the cold.
I knida dig that hat too, it reminds me of one of mine I picked up years ago and have dragged to numerous camping trips.
 
Fab pics - I look hideous, but that's to be expected. Hilarious one of Ingrid!

Love the one of Clarence St and also the Arts Centre spire ones - noice...
 
BEc - What is it about everyone saying they look terrible in these photos?
 
Hey Zuba,

Cheers for the publicity, I think it's a lovely one of Bec and I... despite what Ms B says about herself...

Is it possible for you to un-name me in the caption? I prefer to go by n or some other nickname you may like to devise. As you prob know funny names are easily googled and easily webstalked and me no likey that!

Camera hunt sounds promising!! Oh, have you ridden a bicycle yet? Prepare for fun, especially when legs are differentially muscled.
 
It's nothing to do with your photos mate, truly nothing. I LOVE the pics of everyone but me - Gemma's mad, she looks fine in hers.
I just have such a bloody pointy chin that profile shots never look good of me. It's really unfair and stupid and hypocritical of me but I'm never happy with reportage-style pics of myself, and yet always love them of everyone else. I hate posing for pics but if I don't it's impossible to get the jawline angle right - I end up looking like Jay Leno.
And taking it away from myself, it's also a girl thing - we invariably judge ourselves harshly in pics, hence Gemma not liking hers even though she looks lovely and natural.
Can you email me the pics from the party? Would really appreciate it (after all that!!!)
 
N - Done. Still haven't gotten on the bike, I think I need someone to come along with me in case I come a cropper.

Bec - Pics are on their way to you mate.
 
the cafe capture is A*1
 
I tried to google "N" but got nothin' interesting. JK

I hear ya about photo editing. It's a killer even for my bum, lower back, eyes, schedule, etc. and I don't have ANY metal! I am truly surprised that they didn't attach the bionics for the super human effect. Are they waiting on the shrink's psych reports before doing that? ...just to be sure you won't become some evil photo taking, music making menace??
 
Inspired - Thanks so much mate. Timing, it was all about timing.

Karen - The psych's report should be an interesting read, I'm keen to check it out myself actually.

Who knows what I'll become, some semi bionic freak with bone flutes and a lens for an eye?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?