Monday, September 17, 2007

SKANKY SNOW, MANKY WOMBAT, CRANKY HIP & COKED UP CHOOKS....

Sometimes I wonder why I am so sore and feeling rather less vital than normal.
First and obvious answer comes from one of the voices in my head:

"Coz you got bitch slapped by a semi trailer ya crazy monkey!!"

But on closer inspection I find that I do actually pack a fair bit into every week.
Maybe not as much as some people, like looking after a family of six kids and what not, but for my limited amount of energy I have enough on my proverbial plate to make resisting turning to the vegetative state more than a challenge.
On top of my 3 days at work ( picked up an extra half day as of this week ), my two half days of physio and hydrotherapy, the bits of extra physio I personally engage in ( like walking around taking photos ), the obligatory trips to the pub ( I may be sometime ) there's also the juggling of appointments, chasing hospital staff regarding progress of reviews, social outings, entertaining Snorkmaiden, etc......
My levels of energy have returned to something fairly close to pre smash levels, but the pain factor is a noticeable drain on that.
After a big weekend involving watching the Rugby World Cup at the pub on Saturday night and a trip to the snow on Sunday it's no wonder I'm feeling a little rooted today.


I haven't been to the snow in a long time and at one point entertained thoughts of taking my ski boots along, you know, just in case I had the urge to strap a pair of skis on and hurl myself down a mountainside.
Thankfully I remembered my mate Rob's experience last year and was promptly reminded of the potential of another helicopter trip to the hospital.
Instead, I chose to take the kinder option of driving 3 hours each way, through some pretty twisty mountain roads, walking / stumbling around the snow and alpine topography, lugging a back pack with two cameras, throwing snowballs and fighting gusting gale force winds.
Took Teh 'Hoff for a walk in the snow too, hope the photos turned out!
The snow was a bit skanky, old, dirty and a bit wet, but hey it was still snow!!!
All good fun, if a little draining and rather painful on the arse.


Keli had to put the hub cap back on after it parted company and chased us at 100km/h.
The second time we just threw it in the boot.


Jade's first snow angel.


Making his first snowballs.






Mandy enjoying a reflective moment in the snow.


Some local flora.


Teh 'Hoff and I.
Some pics Mandy took:


Jade's first slide on the snow.



A manky wombat I found on the side of the road, I think it was hit by a car as it was blind.
Keli's first free range wombat as opposed to free lunch wombat.



And home please......



Medically speaking, I finally had my review with the plastic surgeon and her opinion was that she will not replace the muscle graft as it's not viable and could possible cause more harm than good.
She will however be able to cut the motor nerve to the graft, which means I've just picked up a 3rd operation.
Doh!
This had me thinking that I will be able to have the metal removal done privately and therefore very soon.
That was until I spoke to the orthopaedic surgeon, who said that he will require a plastic surgoen to lift the graft in order to access the plate in my lower leg.
So it's back onto the trauma waiting list and that means waiting another 6 - 8 weeks.
Double doh!!
This threw me into a mild state of anxiety as the annual Melbourne Cup Camping Extravaganza will be around that time and I haven't missed one yet.
Here are some photos from last year's trip.
Either way I plan to get the surgery and the trip done, time will tell.....

I also saw my pelvis surgeon today about the pain in my arse and he confirmed a couple of things for me.
1) The pain is definitely coming from the pudendal nerve which was a resulting side effect of the surgery.
2) The only option for possible relief would be to remove the plate in the pelvis and the surgery involved there would be as extensive as the one to install it in the first place, with the very real possibility of causing more nerve damage.
So I just have to put up with it and hope the pain will decrease over time, which it has been to a certain extent.
Triple doh!!!


I went to a comedy showcase last week to watch 6 new up and coming comics.
I find these kind of events much like going to see new bands, it's all very hit and miss.
2 of them were pretty good, 3 average and one crashed and burned on stage.
He was a black American and all of his routine was black comedy: lots of 'niggers', 'brothers' and 'ass' and generally aimed very much at a black audience.
Problem was he was in Australia with a primarily white audience.
I love black comedy like Murphy, Cosby, Chapelle, but this fella's jokes were pretty lame on any level.
His comedy did not involve metabigotry, it just sucked.
He might as well have been an Iranian telling jokes about his uncle's goat incident in the desert last summer to a room full of Inuit seal hunters.
He and the audience were so far removed from each other culturally that it was about as funny as seeing your brand new puppy's entrails pop out from under the tyre of a passing bus.
The unfortunate chap was treading water from the start, eventually choked completely and left the stage.
I think the audience was quietly glad and relieved it was over, a bit like when someone really unsavoury is trying to make conversation with you in a pub and eventually leaves you alone.
I must admit that I do enjoy seeing someone who is very cocksure and full of themselves look bad, and this bloke's ego was bigger than the stage or audience could accommodate.


On a funny note, I gave the Hens of Hell some left over vanilla and whipped cream slice, that was left over from heat 4 of Roast Off II.
N. cooked up some kangaroo and it came out just divine, don't know what she was peaking out about really.
Great country Australia where you can eat both of the animals on the coat of arms, name another country that has that dubious distinction!.
Anyway, the chooks went to town on the slice like it was Captain Sparrow.


Damn! Gotta be the best cocaine this side of the pacific!



.

Comments:
Comments:
I'd never seen the Australian coat of arms. I always appreciate your informative links. So, you really eat kangaroo and ostrich? I always thought it was just a joke! Like our common Hampton's bumper sticker: Piping plover [a protected beach fowl here on L.I.]--tastes like chicken!
 
Ah the wonderful road trips!! Loved Melbourne for that too, not far to the great ocean road, even closer up to the mountain country.. Looks like you had a good time... The snow may be cleaner in Iceland - but we donĀ“t have any trees to sit on and contemplate the world
 
The good comedians always change their material for their audience. Didn't the black guy say anything about Australia or Melbourne? I feel a bit sorry for him, but maybe it taught him a lesson.

Hope the pain in arse eases! Next time someone behaves like a pain in the arse you can say "You're a pain in the arse, and I know what I'm talking about because the metal plate in my pelvis has given me a real one for the past 6 months."
 
KK - Glad to be of service :)
BTW that's and emu not ostrich, they're similar, but different. I think the emus are a little more comical looking.

Musings - We certainly are blessed with access to some pretty countryside that's close by. I've seen photos my sister took in Iceland and you're right, there are mo trees!!! But still very picturesque.

GB - Unfortunately he hadn't mentioned anything about Melbourne or Oz, I think it did indeed teach him a very harsh lesson.

Good point about the P.I.T.A. I'll have to try that line eh :)
 
Aw. We don't get snow in WA.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?